Welcome to my blog

Im exploring aspects of mehndi,designs,techniques,significance,function and historical background. I incorporate patterns that are either modern and traditional,Indian or Arabic into contemporary jewellery.





12 October 2011

mehndhi jewellery

Why do I want to make jewellery based on mehndi patterns???

I’ve been fascinated by Mehndi patterns for a long time. I first came across Mehndi when I was 5 years old, at my neighbours pre-wedding celebration (Mehndi party). Whilst being in the process of getting Mehndi applied to my skin I wondered what they are doing to me. Of course I was impatient I couldn’t keep it long for too long. I simply love going to Mehndi parties, now that I’m all grown up, family and friends ask me to decorate their hands with Mehndi. I love Mehndi motifs that were traditionally used like leaves, flowers, and vines mixed with geometric shapes that work well together creating endless designs. Then I learnt through research, Mehndi has the power to protect, to provide spiritual and material wealth, brings luck, wards off evil eye, guards against black magic or anything supernatural. Mehndi patterns that have Hindu deities remind me of teachings at spiritual school, my guru used to say that the day is too busy, we forget about god, it’s important that you write gods name somewhere so when you look at it you are reminded about god. When I look at these deities I’m spiritually enlightened.
I’m trying to incorporate these beautiful images into my jewellery, after some experimentation and practice, I’ve finally figured out a method to express my design ideas freely. It requires a steady flow of hand movement; I therefore think it’s preferable I design using the actual Mehndi cone. Besides jewellery I’ve also incorporated Mehndi patterns on wood that I’m building into display stands etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment