Welcome to my blog

Im exploring aspects of mehndi,designs,techniques,significance,function and historical background. I incorporate patterns that are either modern and traditional,Indian or Arabic into contemporary jewellery.





10 October 2011

colombo jewellery is art too exhibition

My first display attempt was not really attractive because you could see the jewellery pinned to the sari,and did not want to draw attension to the pins. Therefore I used old jewellery boxes that belonged to my mum and one that belonged to Chris.I re-lined the inside with black veklvet and sewed my jewellery onto the velvet .






There were many changes that were made to get my exibit looking like this,many changes still could have been made like better stands with better patterns,better arrangements, but there was no extra time,but it was a learning experience that will be useful in the future.Some times we have the best of objects around us that can be used for good displays that we turn a bling eye to because we dont see it the way other people do, and its really important to view all the options and have people view your stuff and see what works and what doesnt. Tryind to display jewellery in its context can be abit difficult,people see things differently,nothing ever works out according to the way I planned, I realised things fall in place when you start moving things around and when you have lots to work with and lots to choose from as opposed to having a few things and forcing them to work.

 The exhibition was successful, the display area was never empty people were sociable.Me applying mehndi at the exhibition also drew lots of attension to my jewellery and to mehndi itself. Many people already know what it is and how its works.Viewers saw the connection between my jewellery and the patterns that were on their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment