Welcome to my blog

Im exploring aspects of mehndi,designs,techniques,significance,function and historical background. I incorporate patterns that are either modern and traditional,Indian or Arabic into contemporary jewellery.





10 October 2011

Colombo,jewellery is art too exhibition

My plan for my display for the Jewellery is art too exhibition that will be held at Colombo tea and coffee on Gale street,is to display my jewellery in a way so that it creates an indian atmosphere so that the viewers get some sort of understanding of the mehndi theme of my jewellery. My display needs to look atistic because its not just about the look of the jewellery its about its play of art. My jewellery needs to connect with  my display.I feel its needs to look like a dowry from the grooms family to the brides family.The tradition about the dowry is the gifts that the brides usually would wear on her wedding day, they would send the brides sari and blouse and underskirt,usually red and her jewellery,underwear,shoes,handbag. These are well displayed,the idea if the gift is to be visible so that everyone around her can see her status,how much she is worth because of the value of her dowry.This is wrapped in celophane plastic in clear or a very light transparent colour so it is see-through like the examples below

pictures from http://www.etawau.com/HTML/Culture/MalayWedding/MalayWedding.htm





Looking at the space we are displaying our jewellery,its quite dark. There are many windows which bring in natural light, however our exhibition will take place later parts of the evening on the 5th october 2011,so iI have to come up with some sort of plan for lighting.

For lighting im thinking of using clay lamps which does tie in with the eastern approach to the display,having many small oil lamps will brighten up the display area,using scented oil that has oriental fragrance may work to get rid of the smell of coffee being manufactured. I also need to fill the lamps with oil when they are burnt away and keep having to light the wicks when they blown off.

No comments:

Post a Comment