Welcome to my blog

Im exploring aspects of mehndi,designs,techniques,significance,function and historical background. I incorporate patterns that are either modern and traditional,Indian or Arabic into contemporary jewellery.





07 May 2012

kruger coin pendant

I was asked to make a pendant with a given gold Kruger Rand coin.It is made for a baby ordered by her grandmother. Must not be sharp as to hurt the baby or catch onto her clothes. I made a prototype to show them using wax.

I cut 3mm of a wax tube and used the 'cheese slicer' the tool used to shape the inside of the wax ring to a specific size, I made little balls out of beeswax to go around the ring like little beads to  look like this. I decided to make the prototype in this way so that is the lady likes it, I can just cast it.
I left a space for the jumring and v-loop.i stuck the balls with supperglue so that they dont fall off.i would have to make claws that keeps the coin in place after casting.

The grandmother wasnt very happy when she saw the prototype she wanted someting as she describes as plain and simple so I decided to draw a simple pendant with twisted wire which she liked.

 And now she loves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment