Welcome to my blog

Im exploring aspects of mehndi,designs,techniques,significance,function and historical background. I incorporate patterns that are either modern and traditional,Indian or Arabic into contemporary jewellery.





22 May 2012

copper bangles with edinburgh etch





In 1st year I was told to use a thin layer of bitumen for etching as it will dry quickly, I also noticed that the bitumen peeled of easily.I feel painting on a thick layer and just leaving it to dry for a longer time works better, in that it doesnt peel.

I used the Edinburgh Etch for copper,this is the outcome after 3 hours of keeping it in the solution. The etch is not very deep, but it is very neat as opposed to nitric acid that bites the metal visciously but leaves the metal rough. the wider scratches that were made in the bitumen by a scribe etched quicker than the fine lines. This just means that I will have to leave it longer in the etching solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment