Welcome to my blog

Im exploring aspects of mehndi,designs,techniques,significance,function and historical background. I incorporate patterns that are either modern and traditional,Indian or Arabic into contemporary jewellery.





26 May 2011

mooiloop jewellery

Earrings1
I used the flower images as vetkat portrayed them but I interpreted them in my own way.I wanted to use wax impression technique to use thin wax sheet wish i will warm up by running the wax under warm water to soften it.The flowers were pierced out of 1mm brass plate,this was the plate used to push the wax through.Marlene had given me some dental wax which worked quite well.I then took my time cleaning up the wax flowers before I could invest them.After casting I cleaned my elements and chose the best one to make a mould off.

I tried to link the jewellery with my Btech work so I decided to make them into sets of jewellery that could be worn as bridal jewellery with eastern and western influences.I used engraving techniques to create that bright-cut finish.I engraved the veins of the petals.

Earrings2

with this pair I set rubies which also gives a eastern touch,the colour red is very much associated with love and marriage in Hindu traditions
 Earrings3

 I tried making different variations for the exhibition because everyone has different stles and taste in jewellery,so i tried making stuff that would sell but also that is intresting and relates to my btech. I blackend  these earrings to create a contrast,that alone makes the earring so different from the other pairs

Bracelet
This I designed to match the earrings,set rubies and engraved.bent the flowers in a curve so that they sat in the wrist comfortably
Lizzard studs

thi was an image that was so adorable and had potencial to be transformed into a piece of jewellery.I also made these by wax impressions and engraved scaley lines to add texture.

lizzard bracelet

I made this bracelet to match the lizzard earrings so that they make up little sets of jewellery.
enamel earrings

another interpretation of vetkats flowers with the use of colour which are beautiful in his paintings

No comments:

Post a Comment