Welcome to my blog

Im exploring aspects of mehndi,designs,techniques,significance,function and historical background. I incorporate patterns that are either modern and traditional,Indian or Arabic into contemporary jewellery.





05 September 2011

Surinder Marbha (All about Henna)

Mehndi by Surinder Marbha allabouthenna.blogspot.com/
Looking at mehndi designs by Surinder Marbha is Intriguing I can spend hours just gazing at her mehndi designs.This seahorse pattern really facinates me,the way its been stylised but you can still see the creature.I know I want to make that seahorse real but I dont know what piece of jewellery should I turn it into.Maybe I should make it and then see what I can do with it.

Below is my design and process of creating a mehndi sea horse.I used silver and 18ct yellow gold wire to create this sea horse.I think the fun part of making jewellery based on mehndi is that they all dont need to be perfect and accurate,it looks hand-applied and hand-made.I bent my wires and swirls with caution although I wanted it to look hand-made, I did not want it to look untidy.I really took pride in soldering,tried not to melt anything,but unfortuatley I did melt a few wires along the way.









By this stage I was tired working with the sea horse I forgot why I wanted to make it in the first place.I feel as though I wasted so much time and effort just to chuck the idea away,I want to start something new im not enjoying this anymore.I thought it will work out according to this idea I had in my mind and when i saw things were falling apart I knew this was not going to work. I still have my sea horse somewhere in my bench locker,maybe I will get inspired in the future to make something off it. For now I just think.....gosh I wasted all that 18ct gold wire,now I would probably need to send this for refining.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelona, this is Surinder. I came across your blog online and was quite taken by surprise!!! I am honored that you liked my work so much. I really am touched. Thank you and I wish you luck with your jewelry designing. BTW, I think this design was a great start and you could hopefully finish soon. Maybe, this could make a nice brooch or a pendant?

    ReplyDelete